Wed, May 10|
Creating a Visual Narrative of Your Life: A Mindful Approach to Photography
Explore the power of visual storytelling and learn the art of mindful photography. You'll discover new themes and motifs in your life, experiment with different techniques and styles, and bring together a stunning visual narrative that tells your story.
Time & Location
May 10, 6:00 p.m. – Jul 19, 6:00 p.m.
About the event
Hello & Welcome to Creating a Visual Narrative of Your Life: A Mindful Approach to Photography
If you are looking for a creative opportunity to grow yourself, capture beauty & depth, and meet like minded women this popular course might be what you are looking for. No matter where you live, Creating a Visual Narrative of Your Life is designed to help you explore your creative life and deepen your understanding of mindfulness practices. You'll learn how to use photography to capture the essence of your environment, explore your past, and create powerful visual narratives that tell the story of your life.
You will also learn how to incorporate different themes and motifs into your work, such as nature and mindfulness, and how to use different techniques and styles of photography to express your unique perspective. By the end of the course you will have created a visual narrative that tells the story of your life with mindfulness and intention, and have a supportive international community of women to share your work with.
Mindful photography can help you reflect on the deeper meanings behind what you are capturing. You may start to notice patterns and themes in your life that you want to explore further, or become more aware of your own emotions and thoughts. Through this process, you can gain greater clarity and insight into your own life, cultivate a deeper sense of self-awareness, and reconnect to the beauty and goodness around you.
Ultimately, this mindful approach to photography can lead to greater self-awareness, increased mindfulness, and a greater sense of calm and happiness.
Classes are small and online but live so you can connect with other women in safe and generative spaces. Please join us if this work speaks to you.
No photography skills or special cameras are needed. Suited for all levels.
SEATS: 1 left
Week 1: Introduction to Creating a Visual Narrative of Your Life
- Understanding the power of visual storytelling in photography
- Identifying themes and motifs in your life that you want to capture
- Building a foundation for your visual narrative through exploring your personal style and voice
Week 2: Exploring Your Past
- Using photography to connect with memories and experiences from your past
- Finding inspiration from family photos and other personal archives
- Incorporating archival photos and objects into your visual narrative
Week 3: Capturing the Environment Around You
- Using photography to document the places you live, work, and play
- Developing an awareness of your surroundings and how they shape your experiences
- Experimenting with different techniques and perspectives to capture the essence of a place
Week 4: Self-Portraiture and Representation
- Using self-portraiture to explore your identity and sense of self
- Examining representation and how it impacts our visual narratives
- Experimenting with different techniques and styles to represent yourself visually
Week 5: Exploring Relationships
- Using photography to explore the people and relationships that are important to you
- Capturing the dynamics and emotions of different types of relationships
- Experimenting with different approaches to photographing people
Week 6: Creating Your Visual Narrative
- Bringing together the themes, techniques, and ideas explored in the previous weeks
- Building a visual narrative that tells the story of your life
- Reflecting on the process and the final product
- Starts Wednesday, May 10 2023
- 6 Classes over 12 weeks
- Length: May 10 - July 19 (2x monthly to give time to reflect and complete assignments)
- Dates: May 10, May 24, June 7, June 22, July 5, July 19
- Time: 6:00 - 8:00 pm PDT by Zoom, please match your time zone.
- Language: English
- $320 CAD plus GST
- Total Course Hours: 12
- You can pay by credit card, etransfer, or paypal
- Refunds available a week out, but not afterwards as I will not be able to fill your seat. Thanks for understanding.
Please note: As part of my commitment to promoting equality, and building creative, inclusive communities online for all women - I am offering a special course discount exclusively for women living in economically disadvantaged countries or situations. If you are interested in this course but are unable to afford it, please do not hesitate to message me. You just need access to a computer or your phone for the Zoom classes, and a camera of any quality.
Rachel Schmidt BSW, PLC
Rachel is an award winning documentary filmmaker and photographer who has worked across the globe with human rights and environmental organizations. Her film ‘Defensora' a story about Mayan Q'eqchi women in Eastern Guatemala leading a resistance against Canadian mining won several awards, screened all over the world through solidarity networks and the Amnesty International Film Festival, and is currently part of the curriculum in numerous law schools in Canada and the US.
Rachel earned a Bachelor of Social Work Degree from the University of Victoria in 1991, and graduated from the Independent Film Program at Langara College in 2004. She also specializes in a depth psychology coaching approach called Psychosynthesis, completing her training and receiving certification from the Synthesis Institute in San Francisco.
Rachel has a special interest in contemplative arts and mindfulness, and uses these practices as a foundation in her courses. She offers a safe, creative, and generative space online for women to explore their inner world and lives. Outside of her work, she is a mother, activist, artist, and sweet soul.
Meet Rachel https://www.theforeststudio.ca
Watch Defensora: https://vimeo.com/329494479
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Creating a Visual Narrative
12 week mindful photography course